The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Friday, April 3, 2009

Crossings

Several people have asked me how I get around all of the obstacles on the lake (rivers, streams, industry, power plants). For most of the big obstacles, I just hike inland to a point past the thing I want to get around, then hike back out to the lake.





With large rivers, I just go inland to the nearest bridge and cross over, but with smaller streams and creeks, I have learned to be a little more creative with my crossings.


















With many streams (especially this time of year) there is a lot of debris (trees, stumps) in the water that can be used for a careful crossing.












For deeper streams that lack a good downed tree to walk on, I've devised the 'two garbage bag' method of crossing. The feet stay DRY!















For shallow or narrow streams, there's always the walk through (with waterproof boots) or jump over methods.








It's all about getting safely to the other side, and avoiding getting soaked in the process (especially when the day is cold).

[*I mailed out more hats this week. Don't forget to sign up by clicking the hat in the sidebar! They are very cool hats.]

1 comment:

  1. Loreen,
    Your trek amounts to quite a "feet." Your trip "shoed" provide "kneeded"info to "step" up appreciation of the great asset (won't touch this one) that we have in our beautiful Lake Michigan. Having grown up in Muskegon and, though presently living in the Chicago suburb of Darien, Lake Michigan and the many port cities have long provided much enjoyment in boating and touring.

    ReplyDelete