The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Seawall after Seawall

I usually clip along at 3 miles per hour when hiking on a roadside or flat beach. Along many stretches of Lake Huron, however, there have been these long seawalls perpendicular to the shoreline making for a more, well, vigorous hike and slowing my pace by half.




Sometimes I wade around the water end, or I might climb the mounded sand at the inland end.




There are times when I have had to climb up and over the walls.


Michigan law states that the zone by the water where nothing grows is a public corridor that anyone can walk (unless unsafe, like near power plants). These seawalls attempt to keep the shore from being swept away by the lake, but they turn a stroll on the beach into an obstacle course.

No comments:

Post a Comment