The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Friday, April 20, 2012

A Safe Harbor

In the mid 1800s there were thousands of schooners transported goods -- lumber, copper, iron ore and more -- on the Great Lakes. These ships had no natural harbor on the Lake Huron portion of Michigan's thumb to take refuge. If a storm struck, these vessels couldn't navigate into Saginaw Bay and would have to return 80 miles to the safety of the St. Clair River.




After many ships were lost navigating this route, the Army Corps of Engineers chose Harbor Beach as the place to construct a safe harbor.


It took 11 years to build a breakwall enclosing approximately three square miles. When it was constructed, it was the largest manmade harbor in the world.

I enjoyed my stay in Harbor Beach and even had a day off to learn all about the area.







I stayed at the State Street Inn, a comfortable B&B in an old farmhouse just a few blocks from the center of town run by Bill and Janice Duerr.














Breakfast began with my favorite: fruit/yogurt/granola parfait.

And Janice (with me in last photo) even walked with me most of the way to Port Hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment