The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Revisiting the Lake Trek: Segment 9

This segment spanned the 91 miles between Manitowoc and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It took me 5 days to hike, and was some of the most rugged lakeshore I encountered on the entire trek. This stretch also had the largest algae blooms (clodophera) I had ever seen on the lake.

I walked the first day of this segment alone, but was then joined for the remainder by my college friend Stephanie ('Stew') Lyon. Lois, from Sheboygan, also joined us for the morning of the second day. Stephanie's cousin Dave joined us for most of the last day. It was wonderful to hike with friends at my side.

Note: You may want to press the 'play' button, then pause it and let it completely load before resuming play. This will allow it to play smoothly.

You can find all videos from the Lake Trek on YouTube at: www.YouTube.com/lniewenhuis



2 comments:

  1. Loreen - what an inspiring story and idea. I just ran across your blog and am excited to read more about your journey! I don't think people realize how beautiful parts of Michigan are - especially those areas around the lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    Thanks for checking out my adventure. Lake Michigan has captivated me my entire life, and it was a gift to be able to walk around it last year. It is truly a natural wonder.

    -Loreen.

    ReplyDelete