The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, March 1, 2010

Chicago's Graceland Cemetery

When I was in Chicago last month, I spent some time along the foggy lakeshore. I love to see the lake in all seasons, in all its various moods.

On the north side of the city, I took a stroll through the historical Graceland Cemetery. This is the final resting place for many of the city's mogols, planners, and prominent citizens.


The architects Daniel Burnham and his business partner John W. Root are buried here.

They are largely responsible for reshaping the city of Chicago and maintaining the city's open lakefront.


Since it was February, I had the place to myself. There is something serene about a cemetery in the winter. All color is washed away and the trees and monuments stand in relief against the gun metal sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment