The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Revisiting the Lake Trek: Segment 7

This segment spanned the 161 miles between Mackinaw City and Escanaba, Michigan (I walked the bridge later, on the Labor Day Bridge Walk). This was the longest segment of the Lake Trek in both days (10) and miles (161).

I walked this segment alone, but was shadowed by my brother, Phil, who would drop me off at the beginning of the day, then pick me up 15-20 miles further along the lakeshore at the end of each day.

I walked the wide beaches near St. Ignace and Manistique and scaled the natural limestone walls that appeared in between. Much of the lakeshore was studded with limestone boulders or paved with a limestone shelf that seemed to lift from the water. It was rough going for much of the way, wilderness and rugged landscape. By the end of this segment, I had to retire my boots and break in a new pair on the next segment.

Note: You may want to press the 'play' button, then pause it and let it completely load before resuming play. This will allow it to play smoothly.

You can find all videos from the Lake Trek on YouTube at: www.YouTube.com/lniewenhuis

No comments:

Post a Comment