The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sage House B&B

I stayed at the Sage House B&B in Port Huron. Since I had hiked 145 miles upon reaching the front porch, I was delighted when Joan (the owner and master baker) informed me that she had upgraded me to a room with a jacuzzi tub. Yay!




This home was built in the late 1800s and has a history tied to the Great Lakes. One owner, Albert Sage, was a conductor on the Grand Trunk Railroad. There is a tunnel underneath the St. Clair River here that allows trains to go between Port Huron and Sarnia (Ontario).




A later owner of the house was the retired Commodore of the entire fleet of lake freighters for the Great Lakes Steel Company!

From the comfortable front porch, you can watch the freighters moving up and down the river.


The house has the largest window seat I've ever seen. "I almost bought the house just for that window seat," Joan told me.
















Breakfast began with a delicious baked apple with spiced ricotta and was followed by a perfect vegetable frittata. Yum!
Location:Port Huron, MI

2 comments: