The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Rockport Quarry

I have always been a bit of a rock hound, so when I read about an abandoned quarry (now a state park) on my route, I planned to check it out.




The Rockport Quarry is located NE of Alpena along the Lake Huron shoreline.




On the way there, I came across nice specimens of fossilized coral.




This large pile of rocks are the tailings from the quarry operation. Note the people in the shot to grasp the scale.




The next photo is of the actual quarry. It's difficult to capture how large an operation this was. This quarry is over 300 acres and was the site where limestone was extracted for the supporting structures of the Mackinac Bridge!




I wish I had more time to poke around. Since I am backpacking, the only thing I took from the site were photos.








This baby groundhog (final photo) was more curious than frightened, so I chatted with him for a bit.

Learn more about this park HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment