The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, June 29, 2009

Where's the Beach?






When I decided to walk around Lake Michigan, I envisioned miles of sandy beach stretching before me. There have been beaches, but I have been surprised at the diversity of the terrain along the way. The shoreline has varied from rocky to wetlands and bogs to lush forests. Sometimes, a road ran right up against the lakeshore.

























I head north to Michigan's Upper Peninsula this week. Segments 7&8 cover the distance from St. Ignace, Michigan, across the southern edge of the UP, around the west side of Green Bay, then across Wisconsin's Door Peninsula. These segments will total over 350 miles, and I'll hike all of it in July (taking breaks in Escanaba and Green Bay).




I have a feeling that the 502 miles that I've walked so far are merely a warm-up for these next two segments. July will find me passing through the most remote parts of the trek, camping part of the way, and enjoying the wildlife and wild terrain that stretches out before me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Reen! Way to go! What an adventure you must be having. It has been fun to read about. I will keep checking in with you. Good luck and be safe.

    Cheers,
    jk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Progress! I'm really sorry I didn't manage to connect with you for a day. But I have to keep working on my quest. - Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip! I drove around Lake Michigan in 2006 - took my time and loved it. I never considered walking it - great idea.

    ReplyDelete