The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Friday, June 12, 2009

Segment 6, Day 5 Fisherman's Island State Park->Bay Shores 19 miles








































I began this day in the middle of Fisherman's Island State Park where I had stopped the day before. I hiked just a short way and came upon the island (now attached by a peninsula due to low lake levels).

In the park, I saw a bald eagle in the park flying with a large salmon in its claws. Gulls were swooping at the eagle hoping to make it drop its catch.

As I got to the northern edge of the park, I heard a humming sound and saw the St. Mary's concrete plant and quarry in the distance. I had to hike inland to get around the plant and I headed into Charlevoix (last photo here). After a nice lunch, I walked to Bay Shores for a total of 19 miles this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment