The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Thursday, October 18, 2018

6th Anniversary of My Great Lakes Walk

Loreen Niewenhuis is an author, adventurer, and dynamic speaker. 

She has completed a trilogy of 1,000-mile adventures exploring the Great Lakes and has authored three books about these adventures: 

A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach  [A Heartland Indie Bestseller]

A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Walk   [Winner of the Great Lakes Great Reads Award] 

A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Island Adventure  [Long-listed for the Chautauqua Prize]

 

To learn more about her work, or to engage her as a speaker, go to http://www.laketrek.com/great-lakes-speaker/


October 20 is the 6th anniversary of my second Great Lakes Adventure. 
This 1,000-mile hike took me along portions of all five of our magnificent Great Lakes.

Yellow line is my route for this 1,000-mile hike

This journey allowed me to get to know the unique personalities of each Great Lake.

If I had to describe each lake in one word, I'd choose:

Lake Erie:  Fishy

Lake Erie has the most fish of any Great Lake. It is shallow and warm and teeming with life.


My sisters dropped me off at the beginning of this adventure


Along the shore of Lake Erie


Lake Erie

Lake Huron: Limestone!
The edge of northern Lake Huron is rimmed with limestone and is the site of several large limestone mines.


Blue Water Bridge


Massive truck at the Calcite Limestone Mine north of Rogers City



40-Mile Point Lighthouse

Hiking the rocky edge of Lake Huron





Puddingstone

 Lake Superior:  Wild!

 Lake Superior is the largest, deepest, coldest, cleanest, and WILDEST Great Lake.




Hiking the middle of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

My son, Ben, joined me along Lake Superior


Ben at the tip of the Keewenaw Peninsula

Lake Ontario: Friendly!

I hiked Lake Ontario on the Canadian side. The weather was mild and the people were welcoming.

Lake Ontario


Hiking the Waterfront Trail along Lake Ontario


Lake Michigan: Home
I live at the edge of this Great Lake, so hiking its shores always feels like home to me.

Sunset at tip of Leelanau Peninsula


Along Lake Michigan

Sanderlings along Lake Michigan

The finale of this hike took place along the Niagara River. My finish line for this 1,000-mile hike was Niagara Falls.

The enthusiastic group that hiked the final miles with me!




The magnificent finish line

Niagara Falls in motion:





The book about this adventure!
[Available wherever books are sold.
Find the audiobook HERE.]





No comments:

Post a Comment