The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, August 6, 2012

Critters in the Upper Peninsula


The Upper Peninsula is a wild place and many creatures make their home in this 
often harsh wilderness.

Here are a few I captured with my camera.



Large toad freezes, thinking: "You can't see me when I hold still."


The setting sun lit up this bunny's ears


These stable flies were a nuisance, biting any exposed flesh 


A great blue heron flies along the lakeshore


Bald eagle takes flight


Very large beetle


This beetle had special grippers on its front legs and it emitted a strong-smelling secretion in protest of being held


Common mergansers take flight


Track of a small cat...bobcat?





Slugs were plentiful and often raced down the trees


Up close slug


Chipmunks ruled the lakeshore, scurrying everywhere

I also saw scat from larger predators (coyote and bear) and heard deer crashing around at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment