The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, July 6, 2009

Segment 7, Day 4 Nabinway->Gould City Park 19 miles






High of 75 degrees. July 5

I had planned on walking the shore from Nabinway to the park south of Gould City, but the weather did not cooperate. The lake is still pretty cold now, and this day warmed up quickly. This led to thick fog rolling in off the lake.

My hike from Muskegon to Montague was foggy, and it didn't derail the hike because the beach there is broad and sandy. The shoreline along today's hike, though, was a mixture of wetlands, bogs, and rocky shore.

I've learned how to read the vegetation in wetlands so I know where to walk. Here's how I learned:

1. Sink in muck.
2. Take note of vegetation around sinking self.
3. Avoid areas around that vegetation in the future.

Okay, it's not all that scientific, but it seems to work.

With the thick fog, I couldn't pick my way safely through these areas, so I opted to walk Route 2 west, then south on Gould City Road. This turned my 15 mile day into a 19 mile day, but it was the right decision.

I dislike being away from the lake, but I found myself taking time to do things like chew on grass and drink the nectar from clover blooms (pull the petals, suck on the white ends--it will make you understand the life of bees), and watch the wind blow a field of hay.

I've had a couple of hitchhikers along the way. The photo below is of a tick I discovered before it bit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment