The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

November Surprise

Loreen Niewenhuis is an author, adventurer, and dynamic speaker. 

She has completed a trilogy of 1,000-mile journeys exploring the Great Lakes and has authored three books about these adventures. 


To learn more about her work, or to engage her as a speaker, go to 

http://www.laketrek.com/great-lakes-speaker/


This November has been surprising so far (on many levels). The weather has been amazingly warm this first 10 days. Yesterday, Traverse City broke a high temp record from 1896! And not just by a degree or two, but by 5 degrees!


So, of course, I went kayaking on that warmest day and hiked several other days.




I kayaked my favorite small lake nearby, Cedar Lake. I noticed there are more than one 'Cedar Lakes' around Traverse City. This one is just west of Long Lake, west of Traverse City.








Today, I headed to the big lake to walk the lakeshore. Since the temps were starting to dip and some rain fell, I had the entire beach to myself.
Lovely.







With the lake levels rising this year, the shoreline showed evidence of erosion.











The lake was turquoise and white-capped. Bands of rain clouds hovered over the lake in the distance. 



Still my favorite place.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment