The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tales from the Book Tour: Clarkston School

A teacher contacted me from Clarkston, Michigan. She said that she had used my first book, A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach, as the basis for her ecology course at the Renaissance High School where she teaches.

"Can you come and speak to the students?" she asked.



Kathy Yeloushan, ecology teacher, introduces me to the group 


"Of course!" I replied. And that's how I met the  principal, teachers and students at Renaissance High School in Clarkston. The students were engaged during my presentation and they asked important questions about our Great Lakes.



Students check out the exhibits -- and my KEEN boots! -- from my adventures

 It is vital that the next generation care about our Great Lakes, so I was delighted with the interest these young people showed in my adventures and in our Great Lakes.

Kathy Yeloushan (left) with the curriculum she developed using my book 


3 comments:

  1. very cool, and I love the exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember vividly how great you were with the students from Northport High School, Lorene. The engagement was mutual, discussion great. It's wonderful to have teachers who prepare their classes for guests, but a lively, well informed, engaging guest is a necessary piece of the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela,
      Thank you for organizing that event. Anytime I can sing my "bear songs" in front of a group of kids is a memorable gathering!

      Delete