The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ann Arbor

The Professors' Monument

While in Ann Arbor on my book tour, I finally found The Professors' Monument on UofM's campus.

The story of four short lives

 This fractured column represents lives cut short and was originally placed here to honor Douglass Houghton. He died at only 36 years old and had already accomplished more than many of us do in a lifetime!

This plaque mentions that Houghton was a medical doctor, a professor of Chemistry, Mineralogy, and Geology at UofM, and the state of Michigan's first geologist. 

 One of the fascinating books I read to research my new book, A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Walk, was 
Michigan's Columbus: the Life of Douglass Houghton
by Steve Lehto.
A most excellent read!


Literati Bookstore, 124 E. Washington

Last night I had a wonderful reading and signing event at Ann Arbor's newest indie, 
Literati Bookstore.
My son, Lucas, took time out of studying for his exams to attend the event.

Lucas with the map for my reading!

 Literati now has copies of my new book, so stop in to check out this lovely store and the new book.

Literati's spacious downstairs


No comments:

Post a Comment