The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Segment 7 Day 8 Top of Garden Peninsula->St. Jacques 13 miles






High of 76 degrees. July 9

This day, I covered the arc of land between the two larger peninsulas just east of Escanaba. This shoreline is especially sheltered because of how it is positioned, so there were some dense wetlands. Thankfully, there was a 2-lane road that hugged the outer curve of the trek, so I stayed on that most of the day and made excursions out to the water wherever possible.

I passed through the town of Nahma along the way, and this tall silo is where the Sturgeon River meets the lake. Monarch butterflies have been fluttering by me ever since I began this segment, and today was the first day I saw the fat, striped caterpillars on milkweed plants.

I passed the massive, contemplative bull along the way and he posed for the photo.

I’m staying in Escanaba now, and the final photo is of a blue heron hanging out by some fishermen. I’ve never seen one of these birds so close to people (and I did verify that it was a real bird). It was just hanging out for a free lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment