The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, December 31, 2012

Horseshoe Harbor on the Keweenaw



Ben standing before a wall of 

conglomerate stone


While hiking the shores of Lake Superior on my 1000-mile Great Lakes Hike, I explored a bit of the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Ben was along on this part of my adventure.

A solitary sandpiper works the marshy edges

I enjoyed learning about the geology of this unique landmass. The peninsula is actually a  syncline, the tilted edge of the earth's crust. Eons ago, this area bubbled with lava and the weight of that cooled magma depressed what would become the basin of the lake and the earth's crust tore and lifted at the edges.

I hike along a trail at the tip of the Keweenaw 


Ben scurries down a rocky hillside


Ben stands on the tilted edge of a slate layer 


I explore the geology of Lake Superior and its edges in my upcoming book:
A 1000-MILE GREAT LAKES WALK

The book will be released in 2013. Please "like" my Facebook Author Page in order to keep current on the release of the book and my speaking engagements.

1 comment: