The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, February 21, 2011

The Sleeping Bear

One of the questions people ask when they hear that I walked all the way around Lake Michigan is:
What was your favorite part?

While it's difficult to choose only one, I did fall in love with one stretch of Lake Michigan all over again: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.




This park preserves 35 miles of lakeshore and the two large islands just offshore.

This is a place I return to in my mind...and I'll get back there soon to explore this national treasure.




The North and South Manitou Islands are just offshore.


























The barns below are also part of the park.


2 comments:

  1. Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore is indeed a treasure, Loreen. I don't get down to that part of Leelanau County (the Lakeshore park extends south into Benzie, as well) as I'd like, but just knowing that it's there is a comfort, and the beach at the end of Bohemian Road on Good Harbor Bay is my very favorite Michigan beach. Every year I say I’m going to get out to South Manitou Island but haven’t yet. Summers in the bookstore are too busy. But someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to get to the islands, too.

    There's something about the symmetry of those three barns that makes me want to look at them all day. Ken Scott has some great photos of them...I think my favorite is one he took in winter.

    ReplyDelete