The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Walking Lake Michigan for Charity

I've met many interesting people who have a connection to Lake Michigan. As you may know, this lake is my favorite Great Lake, and I walked around it in 2009.

When I gave my Lake Michigan presentation in Wilmette, IL (north of Chicago), I met Paul Binder. He said he was going to walk most of the edge of Michigan's lower peninsula along Lake Michigan.
I told him: "The lake is high this year."
And he told me he was raising money for a charity in Chicago. 
I invited Paul to contact me when he hiked near my home and I'd join him. We met up yesterday in Frankfort and hiked south to Arcadia.





Paul arrived on his motorcycle. 

Paul's ride


Mayfly


Paul holding a friendly mayfly

 We had a gorgeous day and plenty of beach (well, at least until the last mile...).

Lake Michigan south of Frankfort


We met up with this fantastic snake on the lakeshore. It is a hognose, a gorgeous, 
non-venomous snake.


Paul takes a break


Wet feet!



Losing our beach!


Crowded by this perched dune

 We hiked just over 11 miles together.

Learn more about the charity Paul is raising funds for HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment