The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Insect Encounters

Loreen Niewenhuis is an author, adventurer, and dynamic speaker. 

She has completed a trilogy of 1,000-mile adventures exploring the Great Lakes and has authored three books about these adventures: 

A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach  [A Heartland Indie Bestseller]

A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Walk   [Winner of the Great Lakes Great Reads Award] 

A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Island Adventure  [Long-listed for the Chautauqua Prize]

 


To learn more about her work, or to engage her as a speaker, go to http://www.laketrek.com/great-lakes-speaker/



As you might imagine, I met many insects on my trio of 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures.


Two of my favorite encounters are here for you to enjoy.

This walking stick appeared on my shoulder when I took a rest on one of the Thousand Islands.




This insect is a master of mimicry. When I first noticed it on my shoulder, I thought it was a fallen twig and I tried to brush it off.

My most favorite insect is the praying mantis and I saw several on my hikes.

This one hitched a ride on my shorts as I hiked North Manitou Island.








I set him back on a beech tree.


What's your favorite insect and why?

Loreen Niewenhuis is an author, adventurer, and Great Lakes speaker. She has completed a trilogy of 1,000-mile adventures exploring the Great Lakes and has written three books about the Great Lakes [A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach *a Heartland Indie Bestseller*A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Walk *winner of the Great Lakes Great Reads Award*, and A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Island Adventure]. To learn more about her work, or to book her as a speaker, go to http://LakeTrek.com


No comments:

Post a Comment