The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Battle of Lake Erie!!

The Niagara


My current adventure has transported me off the shoreline and out onto the ISLANDS within our Great Lakes.


This Labor Day, I traveled to South Bass Island's Put-in-Bay to take part in the bicentennial reenactment of the Battle of Lake Erie. This naval engagement between the Americans and British was a turning point in the War of 1812.

Sixteen tall ships gathered in Lake Erie for this event which was the largest reenactment of a naval battle in American history.

Cannon fire!

My ship had a tiny cannon

It was fascinating to take part in this Great Lakes event.

The Lynx

The Niagara fires from both sides

"We have met the enemy, and they are OURS!"

Check out the video below for glimpses of the action!

{This experience will be part of my next book

A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes
ISLAND ADVENTURE!

Due to be released in 2015.




No comments:

Post a Comment