The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, May 7, 2012

Everyone Knows it's WINDY!



Wind Farm in distance

April was a blustery month and the winds seemed to congregate and explore Michigan's thumb more intensely than other areas.  I had many days with sustained winds of 25 mph or better, and several days with gusts reaching 50 mph.  

Much of the "thumb" is quite flat with few trees, so there is little to impede the wind as it travels, so I was not surprised to see wind farms sprouting up along the way.  




These tall towers with their whirling blades turn that racing wind into electricity.  






In this last photo, I'm trying to demonstrate the strength of the wind by holding up a tissue.  The waves behind me (and the wind burn on my face) probably do a better job of proving how blustery this day was! 

No comments:

Post a Comment