The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pintail or Merganser Duck??



Duck enthusiasts and experts, please comment: Is this a pintail or a merganser duck? I saw many of them in the greater Leelanau Peninsula area, usually with large broods of chicks.

Seeing this reminded me of the children's book
Make Way for Ducklings


I saw a lot of wildlife during my Lake Trek and tried to convey the wonderful 'wild places' we still have along Lake Michigan's shoreline in my book. Advance copies should be in my hands next week, and I'll be sending out ARCs to reviewers, many bookstores, and to those who walked at my side on the Lake Trek.

The book will be available everywhere March 2011.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you know by now, but that's a female Common Merganser. The hairdo tells it all, but that nice white spot on the mid-wing tells us it's the common for sure. They keep the young in small herds, often several females clutches together. Lovely shot.

    ReplyDelete