The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Segment 6, Day 7 Harbor Springs->Cross Village 20 miles

High of 76 degrees.

I picked up the trek on M119 and walked along the road until I found an access point to the shoreline. The beach was intermittently rocky, then sandy, then marshy all the way to Cross Village. I had thought that when the shoreline was no longer on Little Traverse Bay, that it would revert to mostly sand, but this was not the case. There were stretches of huge boulders and very shallow water reaching out into the lake.

I came across a berm of zebra mussel shells deposited on the shoreline by the waves that stretched for probably 50 feet and was two feet high by four feet deep. I had never seen so many shells in one place. There were also some areas with small, black snail shells scattered on the beach.

It was a long stretch of beach to walk, especially with the rocks and marshy areas. On such a gorgeous day, though, it was wonderful to be out on the mostly deserted beach with the ducks and deer.

Phil met me in Cross Village, and we had a wonderful Polish dinner at Legs Inn (photos below).




No comments:

Post a Comment