The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, June 15, 2009

Segment 6, Day 8 Cross Village->Wilderness State Park 16 miles

High of 71 degrees.

This day took me from Cross Village to Wilderness State Park. And there is still much wilderness in this park. It is over 8,000 acres, one of the largest tracts of undeveloped land in the Lower Peninsula.

I had a great hike through the park, mostly on the shoreline. Endangered piping plovers were nesting there, and I even saw a pair with their two chicks scurrying along the waterline. I also came across sandhill cranes, leopard frogs, blue herons, and many fish.







It was warm enough to take off my boots for awhile and walk in the cool water.





































When I crossed to the north side of the park, I had my first glimpse of the Mackinaw Bridge and Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I'll begin hiking the UP in July and it was thrilling to know that I'd come so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment