The 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Adventures

Monday, May 11, 2009

Segment 4, Day 1 Grand Haven->Muskegon 17 miles







High of 72 degrees, sunny.

I was glad to get back to the lake after a three week break between segments 3 and 4.

Grand Haven is a lovely town, and I began this segment on the north side of the Grand River and went north.

I soon was into P.J. Hoffmaster State Park and spent some time exploring the trails and visitors center there. This park has preserved a 3 mile stretch of coastal dunes for everyone to enjoy. In the visitors center, there are interactive displays which explain how the dunes were formed over thousands of years of sand being blown and then held in place by dune grass.
I met Mary Jo on the beach. She was gathering trash, something that she does often between Musekgon and Grand Haven. She's one of my Lake Heroes.

In Muskegon, quite near the end of this day's trek, I passed by a house with a sign which said "COME SIT ON MY PORCH." There was a man sitting there, so I pointed to the sign and asked if I could sit with him. Lawrence is a watercolor artist in Muskegon, and after we had chatted for a bit, he showed me his work in his studio/gallery.

The Lake Trek has taken me many interesting places and I've met some great people along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment